The NIOZ internship program provides exciting educational opportunities and career exploration in the marine sciences for students from universities, universities of applied sciences (HBO) and vocational education (MBO).
Our internships offer career exploration in a range of marine science fields and cover both fundamental and frontier-applied sciences as well as marine technology topics. Interns work with leading scientists and experts in our laboratories and workshops, as well as on our research vessels.
NIOZ offers mainly two types of internships:
- Research internships for MSc, BSc, higher professional education (HBO) and vocational education (MBO) students;
- Engineering & technology internships for students from vocational (MBO) or higher professional education (HBO).
Occasionally we also offer short internships for high school students.
Some of our internship opportunities are listed below. If you have a specific interest or you want to explore what kind of research is being done at NIOZ, you can also browse the webpages of our research departments and contact a researcher directly to inquire about possibilities.
Research internships Texel
- Marine Population Genomics
- Impacts of biological invasions on species interactions, food webs and diseases
- Hidden diversity in snails: parasites
- Marine Organic Biogeochemistry
Research internships Yerseke
- Developing a measure for environmental protection
- Ecosystem functioning expressed by bioturbation
- Exploring the impact of electric pulse fishing on organisms and ecosystem functioning
- Uncovering the effects of mussel bed leakage using remote sensing data
- Providing a mechanistic understanding how to maximize combined nature and coastal protection goals
- Biogeomorphic landscape formation by ecosystem engineers: generalizing across species
- Developing knowledge to preserve and restore coastal ecosystems
- Identifying the relation between the traits of intertidal-organism and the ecosystem services they provide
- Hydrodynamic ecology: unraveling hydrodynamic effects on behavior, resources and thereby communities
Engineering & technology internships Texel
NIOZ National Marine Research Facilities (NMF) offers student opportunities in the fields of marine mechanics, electronics and instruments. Interns will work with experts in the NIOZ workshops and occasionally on board of our research vessels. NMF has internships for students from vocational education (MBO) and higher professional education (HBO).
Accommodation for interns
NIOZ provides accommodation for interns at campus De Potvis on Texel and guesthouse De Keete in Yerseke.
- Campus De Potvis offers accommodation for employees and students of NIOZ and other research and educational institutes on Texel.
- Guesthouse De Keete serves as temporary housing for staff and visitors to NIOZ Yerseke. For more information please contact the caretaker, Jan Megens.
Details on the conditions for an internship at NIOZ can be found in our Internship Implementation Regulation (pdf).
If you have general questions about internships at NIOZ or questions related to internships at NIOZ on Texel, please contact Dörte Poszig. Email: education(at)nioz.nl
With questions about internships at NIOZ in Yerseke, please contact Anneke van der Endt.