NIOZ has partnerships with numerous Dutch, European and global marine research platforms and universities. Our primary source of basic funding is the Dutch Research Council (NWO). Another long-term partner is Utrecht University.
NWO and NWO-I
NIOZ is part of NWO-I, the Institutes Organisation of NWO. NWO-I is an independent foundation, that falls under the Dutch Research Council (NWO). NWO-I is located on the Van Winthontlaan in Utrecht.
The Dutch Research Council (NWO) is the national research organisation in the Netherlands operating under the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW). NWO provides the main part of our institute’s basic funding.
NIOZ and Utrecht University (UU) have been collaborating for over 25 years. Since 2015 we have intensified our collaboration on research and teaching in the fields of water and climate. Our ten-year cooperation agreement includes a substantial financial involvement of UU in NIOZ.
UU is an international research university with leading research into fields such as climate and marine ecosystems. The university offers various BSc and MSc programmes in these fields, including a new interdisciplinary programme, Marine Sciences, unique to the Netherlands.
Caribbean Netherlands Science Institute (CNSI)
The Caribbean Netherlands Science Institute (CNSI), located on the Dutch Caribbean island of St Eustatius, is a NIOZ-enabled research facility. It supports basic, strategic, applied and societal and policy relevant research and education in natural sciences, life sciences, societal sciences and humanities.
NIOZ is one of the partners of the Delta Platform; a centre of expertise for delta technology. This platform involves experts from universities of applied sciences, research universities, research institutes, companies and governmental bodies in complex delta issues. The platform supports i.a. articulation of demand, the formation of knowledge clusters and the development of, for example, a research project.
Netherlands Maritime consortiUm of environmental Science & Technology (MUST)
Deltares, Wageningen Marine Research, TNO Maritime & Offshore and NIOZ have joined forces in the Maritime consortiUm of environmental Science & Technology (MUST). Founded in 2014, MUST focuses on marine technology, applied oceanographic and marine ecological research and advice. For more information go to: www.mustmarine.com.
European Marine Board
NIOZ is a member of the European Marine Board, a pan-European forum for seas and oceans research and technology, which works in association with the European Science Foundation.
Partnership for Observation of the Global Oceans (POGO)
NIOZ is a member of the Partnership for Observation of the Global Oceans (POGO). POGO is a forum of major oceanographic institutions around the world to promote global oceanography.
Other university partnerships
Besides our intensive cooperation with UU, NIOZ has ties with numerous other universities. Senior NIOZ scientists hold part-time professorships at the University of Groningen, University of Amsterdam, VU University Amsterdam, Delft University of Technology, Radboud University Nijmegen, HZ University of Applied Sciences Vlissingen and Ghent University in Belgium.
The NIOZ Marine Master Summer Course, held annually in July, is open to students from all universities.
Other international partnerships
NIOZ has signed Memoranda of Understanding for mutual cooperation with a number of international marine research institutes, including:
- Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research - AWI - in Bremerhaven, Germany
- Beijing Forestry University in Beijing, China
- Center for Marine Environmental Sciences - MARUM - in Bremen, Germany
- Flanders Marine Institute - VLIZ - in Ostend, Belgium
- General Directorate of Mineral Research and Exploration - MTA - in Ankara, Turkey
- GEOMAR, Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel in Kiel, Germany
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon in Geesthacht, Germany
- Institute of Marine Research - IMR - in Bergen, Norway
- Instituto del Mar del Perú - IMARPE - in Callao, Peru
- Italian Research Council - Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche - CNR - in Rome, Italy
- Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology - JAMSTEC - in Yokosuka, Japan
- Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemünde - IOW - in Rostock, Germany
- National Oceanography Centre - NOC - in Southampton, United Kingdom
- University of Oldenburg in Oldenburg, Germany